Friday, August 04, 2006

"Your jam factor is GREEN"

I have had XM radio in my pickup for several months now. One of the nice things about it is that I can always flip over to the traffic station during my commute and see if I should be looking for a different route, get some idea of how long this is going to take, etc.

They always start the traffic spiel by saying "Your jam factor is (Red/Yellow/Green)" Presumably red is bad, yellow is not good, and green is good. The funny thing is that until yesterday I had never heard the jam factor as anything other than yellow during rush hour. I expect that I will hear it as red during an ice storm or something, and I figured the only time it was ever green was during the middle of the night.

Yesterday, though, I got in the car and heard, "Metroplex traffic is really good, unless you are driving the route that Don uses to get home."

Okay... maybe that wasn't quite what they said. What they actually said is, "Your jam factor is green." They then proceeded to say, "On I-35 there are no problems. (etc. for all major highways). I had NEVER heard that before. I made the only inference I could... that traffic was good - or at least better than usual throughout the metroplex. This was great! I was going to make it home in good time (which was good, since I was a little behind schedule for getting to meet the teacher night).

Sadly, traffic was apparently only good everywhere else... For me, though, it was, if anything, worse than usual. It took me 90 minutes to travel the 30 miles to home.

/sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home