Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Some days

We're really not a big Halloween family. None of us are. We didn't even manage to get around to getting pumpkins to carve into jack-o-lanterns this year. (We decided on Monday that we probably should because the kids were concerned that people might think we were the neighborhood "Halloween Scrooges." By that time, though, there were no pumpkins available to be had.)

Costumes have also never been a real big thing for us, including for the kids. They definitely dress up, and definitely want to go out trick-or-treating - but it really hasn't been an "event" for them. So it was really no surprise to me when the kids were perfectly happy just wearing their costumes from last year (which happily still fit).

Now, my son went last year as Darth Vader (cue Imperial March music...). It's the full costume, with the helmet, face mask, chest electronics, black cape, and red lightsaber. The mask even has a voice changing feature in it so the child can say "trick or treat" in Darth Vader's voice - although it really kind of sounds like Darth Vader at age 12 or so. My son really wanted to go as Darth Vader this year, but he wanted to replace the lightsaber. He didn't want the red lightsaber. He wanted a purple or a green lightsaber. We talked about how Darth Vader always had a red lightsaber. My son knew that, which is why he wanted something different. He wanted to go as a good Darth Vader, which apparently required having a different colored lightsaber. (I think this all came from the fact that he has now seen all of the Star Wars movies. He liked that Darth Vader has the "salvation moment" at the end, but didn't like that he then died. He wanted to see Darth Vader continue as a "good guy" once he'd seen the error of his ways.)

I have been "mean dad" lately - or, more accurately, I have been willing to play the part a little bit. I've been on a financial belt-tightening kick, encouraging (i.e. requiring) the kids - and the parents - to reduce spending on things that aren't really needed so that they can get some idea of fiscal discipline. So, when my son said he wanted a different lightsaber, I said no. I explained that, although it was a neat idea, it really wasn't a need and his costume was perfectly functional without it. He explained his reasons for wanting it, and that he really wanted it. Still, I said no. He wasn't happy with the answer, but accepted it pretty gracefully, which I made me proud of him.

I went to the store yesterday morning to buy candy for the kiddies that would be stopping by later. While I was there I decided to go ahead and pick up a different lightsaber for my son. It was, after all, only about $6. We had already saved money by not having to buy a new costume this year. He had accepted the decision not to get the "upgrade" with great equanimity. All in all, I thought he probably deserved it - and I could afford $6 without breaking the bank.

When I got home, my son was starting to get worried. He couldn't find his (red) lightsaber anywhere, and was hoping I had some idea where it was. I didn't, of course, but I reached into my bag and pulled out the purple one with a grand, "Well, will this one do?" His eyes lit up. He grabbed it and extended the cheap purple plastic cylinders for the lightsaber, then ran over and put his arms around me for a BIG hug and very sincere "thank you!"

He's 9 years old now, and those spontaneous moments just don't come along very often anymore. It brought tears to my eyes, and to my wife's eyes. I've never had $6 that was any more well spent.

Some days are just worth it, and you wish you could capture them and replay them over and over and over again whenever you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home